[pct-l] Mail Timing

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Thu Feb 17 08:45:05 CST 2011

Good morning, Brandon,

When I resupply by mail I use the “stop-after-next” resupply strategy.  My
average resupply period is 5 days, so when I phone home from a town I know
that a box is already at -- or on the way to -- the next town so then I only
have to tell my logistics/communications manager, i.e. wife, where the
stop-after-next box should be sent along with the number of day’s food
necessary, and the required Calories per day.  That box was then sent via
Priority Mail on the next Post Office business day after the phone call
making the average lead about 10 days.
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=165752

The only time I missed a shipment was in Big Bear in ’09.  When I arrived in
town and called home, Wife told me the box had been returned from San
Francisco as “undeliverable” for some unspecified reason so it was re-sent –
at no additional cost -- after our local PO totally inspected and approved
the address.

I took an unscheduled zero-day in Big Bear awaiting the re-sent package, but
it didn’t arrive.  As a result I purchased food locally and hiked on.  That
was a good thing because the box was subsequently returned home a second
time from SFO, but by then I was in Agua Dulce.

That was NOT a problem with the PO in Big Bear.  Those folks are great; they
just never got the package.

Those comments apply to regular U.S.Post Office Priority Mail shipments, not
by other carriers, and not to remote locations like VVR.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09