[pct-l] Sleeping Pads

Jim & Jane Moody moodyjj at comcast.net
Thu Feb 17 09:48:33 CST 2011

I'll weigh in on the NeoAir.  I bought one of the first ones out and used it on several training hikes, including Mtn Ned's University of Snow.  From the beginning it had a slow leak but nothing major - a few puffs at night were usually sufficient to reinflate it.  However, it got worse on the trail, so I asked my hometown outfitter (where I bought it) to ask Thermareat to replace it.  They did, without charge to me.  The new one has not leaked a bit.  I love the sleeping comfort of the NeoAir, as well as the weight savings over my old (but still serviceable) Thermarest pad.

I also carried a cheap and very light closed cell pad from K-Mart, for greater insulation, padding, and protection for the NeoAir.  That pad turned out to be one of my most useful pieces of gear.  It smoothed out the rocks and sticks at breaks, it coouldn't be deflated, it was easy to clean, it was non-absorbent, it kept my gear clean while laid out for packing / unpacking, and it helped buffer my pack and contents when under attack from limbs and rocks.

I'm going back out this year (starting at Sonora Pass), and I will carry the same pad and NeoAir.  Look for me  - I'll be the guy with the oversized straw hat and the light green cylinder strapped on the back.

Mango