[pct-l] snowshoes

Mike Chapman altathunder76 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 09:55:39 CST 2011

Im the snowshoe making guru! First of all,many snowshoe designs are
out there in cyberspace($#%^ them,just joking)). I like the old school
rawhide version for basic travel,very light,but ineffective on the
verts unless you modify. My high dollar ones are great,but last year
before my late spring mantrip,the snow wasnt stopping,and neither was
the will of my fellow friends.  So 48hrs to go and the trip that was
planned "way" ahead of time,was on the verge of changing(nobody wanted
to spend more dough on rentals!,I own my own bad a$$ ones),when in my
head appeared a rare thought(take advantage,before u forget!).  Here
it was(no time for rawhide,doh!),I found some heavy duty lightweight
plywood,cut it to snowshoe size(approx),drilled holes around an inch
away from my footprint on the board(all around,8-10 holes),made 5
holes just above my toeline(not close to each other,keep
stable,solid),painted and dried next to fire,installed nuts and bolts
and lock washers(3inch) to the front holes for traction,used good
climbing style rope to fasten my boot\shoe to snowshoe(slide through
holes and wrap around high ankle),ajust with time),installed grip tape
in footprint and grip side. Success! The results,I made shoes that got
a 265lbs. dude up a vertical icy snow staircase with a big pack! They
lasted the whole trip(lots of miles),they still got them. My friends
couldnt stop raving about them(still). I have since designed a plexy
glass version with snowboard bindings(UL,sweet). The possibilitys are
endless,get creative. Hike on,and dont let the limits set you.