[pct-l] First required place for bear canister

Gerry Zamora gerry0625 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 12:02:45 CST 2011

Is a bear can needed in the big bear area that's were I plan on starting
heading sobo so im not sure if I will need one on this part of my trip.
Thanks
Gerry0625
On Feb 18, 2011 7:54 AM, "Jim & Jane Moody" <moodyjj at comcast.net> wrote:

> Couple of addenda to Shroomer's post.  First, the location of the bear
incident with LE and PS was Spanish Fingers Creek, not Joshua Tree Spring.
I was at JTS the same night they were at Spanish Fingers (I was a few miles
behind them).

> Second, the stitching was with fly line I had in my bounce box, along with
several upholstery needles.  Strong and light and doesn't disintegrate like
cotton or polyster yarn would.

> Mango

of their tent courtesy of a juvenile delinquent bear, because they attempted
to camp at Joshua Tree Spring.  Coolest tent decorations on anybodies tent I
saw all summer as you can really see the spread of the bears claws.  It was
always quite a tourist destination for newcomers to our camps who marveled
at the holes they had stitched up with yarn.

> Yogi warns against camping here, and although you'll need the water by
that point, and it's a really nice looking camp, the fresh bear scat all
around was enough to make it clear that it is Mr. Bruin's territory, and not
ours.

> Shroomer
>

> On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 6:38 PM, Jim & Jane Moody < moodyjj at comcast.net >
wrote:

> It's not required, but I suggest you consider picking it up at Walker
Pass.  One or more bears hang around Joshua Tree Spring and Spanish Fingers
creek, looking for a free lunch.