[pct-l] Waterproof overmitts

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Sun Feb 20 08:16:54 CST 2011

Good morning, ,

Over time while hiking in the rain gloves or mittens become damp:  From the
outside, of course, but also from my hands.  Every time I remove a glove(s)
for a task my hands carry some water back into the glove.  That’s pretty
much inevitable, just as inevitable as my feet getting damp. The resulting
dampness of wool or poly-fleece gloves usually doesn’t make my hands cold
because, remember, if it’s raining it isn’t freezing.

I have waterproof/resistant gloves and mitts that work, but I still get
water leaking in around my arm sleeves, and from inserting my hands.  I’ve
found that overall, light fleece or wool gloves are adequate, while being
lighter, less expensive, and more trouble-free They won’t stay entirely dry,
but what I try to avoid is having a continual resupply of cold rain soaking
them.

My Parcho rain wear http://mysite.ncnetwork.net/resp320s/parcho.htm has arm
extensions to cover my hands.  This feature serves nicely to fend most of
the rain off the gloves while I'm holding a pole, all while contributing to
ventilation.

I find size to be another important attribute of gloves/mitts for wet
weather:  Inserting wet hands into damp gloves is difficult, and cold
fingers become stiff and hard to manipulate.   It may not look “fashionable”
in the store but I try to buy the largest size gloves available even though
I have relatively small hands.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09