[pct-l] Gear/Weight/Risk

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Sun Feb 20 17:44:58 CST 2011

Good afternoon,

My normal base weight is sub-10 lbs. in a 13-ounce GoLite Breeze pack.  The
heaviest load I can recall was 38.7 lbs. out of Mojave, via Tehachapi-Willow
Springs Road, when I loaded for 7 days and 145 miles up to Kennedy Meadows.
 http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=277060  The 10 lbs. that I show
included a pair of instep crampons left over from further south.  I really
shouldn’t have been carrying them.  Also, that 10 lbs. didn’t include my
bear ‘can which I received at Kennedy Meadows.   38.7 lbs. is a pretty solid
number because there’s a postal scale in the lobby of the Mojave Post
Office, and I weighed the entire loaded pack just before I hit the trail.

I’m not fond of carrying 13 lbs. of water up that climb north of Hwy-58 – in
the middle of the day – but the water weight attrits steadily through the
day, and once one gains the top of the ridge the trail levels-off quite a
bit.

At Kennedy Meadows I received the bear ‘can, but I didn’t need to carry
nearly as much water.  As I recall, in Independence my ‘can with its food
weighted around 18-19 lbs. for 8 days and 152 miles up to Tuolumne Meadows.

Perception of safety is mostly dependent upon one’s skill, experience, and
an understanding that there are really very few unforeseeable/unavoidable
disaster scenarios.  Almost always there are options to avoid or mitigate
potential difficulties which don’t involve having to carry many pounds of
“just in case” gear.

Good luck with your planning,

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye