[pct-l] Gear/Weight/Risk

Timothy Nye timpnye at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 21:46:48 CST 2011

My two cents:

1.  The less you carry the less you need to carry.

Think about the food and water that you will need in order to carry all the
gear that you believe is necessary. Each pound that you can remove from your
pack weight is a significant reduction in needed calories and hydration per
day on the trail.  Think of it this way.  If you are taking 2000 steps for
each mile (which is way conservative) then that is a pound that you don't
have to lift and carry 2000 times.  That's literally a ton of lifting and
carrying for each mile you do each hiking day.

2.  Cumulative injury.

I don't know how old you are, but believe me, a long trek is going to put
strains on you orthopedically that you've never experienced before.  There
are many, perhaps most, with more trail experience that I have on this
list.  But I've crashed and burned due to excessive pack weight before on a
thru hike attempt.

Based on your post it sounds as if you should also be concerned about the
soundness of your ligaments and tendons.  Don't confuse this issue with
muscle strength and endurance.  It's not the same.  Such a problem typically
doesn't announce itself in a way that you can do anything about it other
than get off the trail.

The most disconcerting night I ever spent on trail was having to listen to a
hiker in the room next to me sobbing over the phone to his wife because his
body had let him down and he had to get off the trail because his foot gave
out on him.  I mean full on crying.  I got up at 4:00 and hiked out in the
dark just to get out of there.  This was 44 miles into the trail.

3. Body type and conditioning

Some people are naturally more robust in build.  By the same token, others
are not.  I leave it to you to determine where you fit in on the overall
scheme of things.  But your conditioning program should take into account
the amount of weight that you intend to carry.  Otherwise, you will not get
the full benefit of any program that you have developed and injury is more
likely.  Also significant is the environment in which you live.  I live in
California's Central Valley and I'm used to 100+ temps and exercising in
them.  It's a different take if you live in Seattle where it's cooler and
more moist.  This should impact your planning and the amount of water that
you find it necessary to carry..

More people have to get off the trail because of injury or fatigue than
because they weren't carrying enough gear or the right kind of gear.

4.  Bounce boxes and different gear for different sections.

I don't know how well off financially you are or what gear you have in your
gear locker, but just carry the gear you need for the sections that you are
hiking at the time and bounce the rest of it ahead.  Check the average
temperatures for each section during the time of year that you are hiking
it; and then make leeway for extremes.  Also, you can minimize the weight
you have carry through purchasing the most weight effective gear available
to you.

5. Conditioning and fitness changes during the hike.

You won't be be as hungry during the early stages of your hike as you burn
your fat reserves.  Personally, I'm usually not that hungry until I reach
that point.  You will become a more effective hiker, but the degree to which
this occurs is dependent upon the weight that you carry.

6.  Carry what makes you feel secure enough to enjoy your hike. (Hike your
own hike)

It all boils down to your feeling comfortable about being on the trail; if
you are spending your time worrying about potential hazards and afraid that
you won't be prepared to meet them then that, it seems to me, defeats the
whole trail experience. Part of the advantages of getting older is acquiring
the wisdom of being able to benefit from the experiences of others without
having to duplicate their previous experiences.  We're all different to the
degree that we can do this, however.  Take what you want from the
suggestions that are offered and leave the rest behind; you'll learn your
own lessons as will those others, including myself,who are offering this
advise continue to learn in the future.