[pct-l] Fwd: Canadian Border

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Mon Feb 21 14:48:44 CST 2011

In June 2005 I blithely took an overnight bus from SEattle to Vancouver,
BC with just a driver's license for ID.  That was a low snow year up
north and I was going to do a long section hike.

The Canadian border guys got all excited when I couldn't come up with a
passport or birth certificate.  It was 2AM and not much going on.  They
took my pack and license and disappeared.  There were seven or eight
people on the bus and they held it up for 20 minutes or so while they
checked me out.  I had a DUI in 1983.

They finally said I could enter Canada, but that I should carry a birth
certificate or passport.

Jeffrey Olson
Martin, SD