[pct-l] SPOT vs Cell Phone

Kevin Cook hikelite at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 21:52:29 CST 2011

Just to clarify, most cell phones do use towers, but that's only to augment
the actual GPS chip. MOST cell phones made in the last few years will have
GPS accuracy as good as a stand alone unit. What the dedicated devices offer
is the "extras". Maps, waypoints, tracks, etc. If towers are available, a
phone based GPS can be MORE accurate.

I still agree though. To provide your family peace of mind, a Spot is a
better choice. For utility, a cell phone can be more useful. The spot won't
let you talk to your wife when you hit town ;)