[pct-l] SPOT vs Cell info.

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 22 19:45:28 CST 2011

I brought both a SPOT and a regular cell phone with AT&T service on my PCT rides
in 2008 & 2009.

Early in 2008 my local SPOT representative gave me a SPOT for free.  In return I
only had to check in with an "OK." message every night when I reached camp.
They also gave one to ZACK, the 17 year old young man who sailed a boat around
the world. His location and mine both appeared on the website along with a
picture and a short description of our journeys. Followers could "see where Ed
is now".

I found the SPOT to be dead reliable in that all of my messages got through to
my "team", which included SPOT, my wife and eight others. It certainly gave my
wife real peace of mind to know that I was OK every day. I still have a record
of all of the GPS locations showing, by satellite pictures, each camp.

To send a signal it is recommended that you place the SPOT horizontally for 20
minutes with a clear sky above.  I did not always have a completely clear
sky; sometimes there were a few small branches above - but the signal always got
through. And I could tell by the lights when the message was successfully sent.

While on the hiker detour of Section K in Washington I used the OK signal as
well as the tracker mode effectively to let an Angel follow my progress north of
Stevens Pass and down Indian Creek so she could pick Primo and I up at the White
River TH and trailer us around the Little Giant part to the Buck Creek TH.  The
Little Giant was notoriously dangerous to horses.  A woman who was bold enough
to try it not long after we passed through that Section killed both of her
horses when they fell several hundred feet.

My cell phone seldom worked for me - but when I had service, being able to call
my wife made it worth having brought it.

MendoRider/Ed Anderson