[pct-l] Stitches

Kevin Cook hikelite at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 12:58:02 CST 2011

I recommend anyone interested in this topic do a little google research.
>From what I gather, the medical glues are actually different from superglue.
They are similar and in the same chemical 'families', but they are
formulated to reduce skin irritation and be more flexible.

I made a pre-hike visit to my Dr last week. I didn't think to ask about
this, as I am not planning to NOT take my little tube of super glue. It's
just too handy for other things as well. Something he said does seem
relevant though, so I will share. We were discussing what sorts of medical
issues I might face in the back country and what, if anything, I should
carry to treat it. He did give me some pain killers and Flagyl (not sure of
spelling, the stuff for giardia). His concern was diagnosis. I asked about
infections and should I carry antibiotics. He wasn't strongly against it,
but he advised that it would be best to go to a clinic for them. I took his
advise on that one. My concern was more with the rash type infections I've
heard of, and he felt it was uncommon and I shouldn't worry about that.

The point I'm trying to make is, we're not medical professionals. He kept
stressing that if I had any problems, I should try to get medical attention
asap. Anything we do in the back country is a temporary measure hopefully.
When I first got my WFR cert, back in the 90s, my first aid kit was huge.
We're talking 3-5 lbs! I'm older, and hopefully, wiser now, so I've trimmed
it down substantially. I try to keep it as basic as possible. I do this by
thinking about what conditions I want to prepare for. Anything not on that
list, I'll have to improvise. If I encounter a compound femur fracture or a
sucking chest wound, things are so bad at that point, anything in my ultra
light first aid kit is probably NOT going to be what determines the outcome,
it's what's in my head. I have chosen to be prepared for a cuts though. In
my experience, the biggest problem with treating a cut is avoiding it
reopening. Yes, I can use the little adhesive butterflies or suture type
things, but they don't stick real well to a dirty and sweaty hiker.
Superglue does. I don't flood the wound. I apply the glue like stitches. I
make lines perpendicular to the wound. This lets it ooze, but does a
fantastic job of holding it closed. Sometimes the cuts are in places that
the skin is constantly being stretched. Adhesive bandages have never worked
as well for me. Again, I've only had to resort to this twice in decades of
hiking, but it worked great for me.

Once again, I'm wrong about everything I'm saying, so do NOT take any
medical advice from me. This is all my opinion based my life experience.
Make your own choices. Talk to your doctor, your mom, your preferred
religious figure, or whomever's opinion you respect about this. If you make
a decision about how to prepare for a medical emergency solely based on what
people post to an email group, that's a little cray IMHO. The folks on this
list are great, but especially when the subject is this important and
getting such varied opinions, talk to an authority.

No offense to anyone on this list. Some of you very well ARE experts, but
unless I know you personally, I am not going to trust my medical care to
you. ;)