[pct-l] Snowshoes after the thaw

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Wed Feb 23 21:35:59 CST 2011

I believe this question has been answered quite well, but I had to chime
in....

We took MSR Lightning Ascent snow shoes into the sierra out of Kennedy
Meadows last year (May and June) to use them when the snow started getting
too soft in the afternoon and we expected to suffer through "postholing."

Well, the thaw didn't start until early June, so the night time temps.
remained in the 20s and we still had snow storms through May, so the snow
stayed consolidated and hard throughout the day making for easy walking on
top of the pack.

Come June, the pack started melting out in force, the snow bridges over the
creeks melted out making for typical, summertime creek-crossing scenarios,
and at the same time the creeks rose and the crossings became quite
difficult/dangerous. While the pack remained cold and hard, walking on it
was easy with the right footwear and traction aids.

So, lets talk about the need for snow shoes after the thaw starts in the
Sierra. If the morning temps are somewhat cold, the surface of the snow will
be hard or at least have a crust on it making for easy walking (got to be
careful about slipping, still). Once the warm spring sun starts working on
it, the surface will soften and your shoes will get a better "bite." This
may take you to 10 or 11 o'clock in the morning. Thereafter, the soft
surface snow will get deeper and soon you will have the threat of
post-holing (that sharp, sudden, jarring plunge of your leg into the pack,
often to the knees or deeper, which is very fatiguing to get out of, and
especially repeatedly throughout the late morning and afternoon).

If you time your ascent over the next Pass such that you reach the top by
the time the snow gets soft only on the surface, not only will you have the
choice to glissade down the back side without getting cut up by ice, but you
may have enough time to quickly hike over the surface all the way down the
several miles of descent snow to the mud level of water-filled trail and
rock. (I am particularly referring to the section of trail from Cottonwood
Pass to Sonora Pass). If you do not time your ascents and descents like
this, you may have miles of softening snow-covered descent "trail" where the
chance for post-holing becomes very likely, real, and painful. (We haven't
even mentioned "suncups" yet!).

So, if you find yourself post-holing and you still have a distance to reach
the snowline and visible trail, having and being able to use snowshoes
allows you to continue on without being jarred and scarred. It's all about
the conditions before you, the air temp, the intensity of the sun, the
exposure of the snow-covered slope you are on, shade, thickness of the pack,
whether there is a lot of running water or air under the pack, and the
amount of debris in the pack that will dictate how soon you will start
post-holing. Don't forget, walking over and through snow (whether wallowing
or post-holing) consumes a TON of calories, so be prepared with lots of
extra food while going through the Sierra!

In essence, you do not need snow shoes to get through the Springtime Sierra
if your strategy and footwear is good. If you ask, "What's 'good' mean?"
then you'll have to go out for yourself and learn how to walk on snow to
find out. Do this, preferably, Before you find yourself in the Sierra on
your thru hike!!

"Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education