[pct-l] Debating about boots...How many?

Crystal Mcdowall crystal_mcdowall at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 25 03:57:39 CST 2011

Hey guys!  For those of you that have thru hiked before, I'm still debating
about footwear and wondering how many pairs of boots I'm likely ruin on this
trail?  I am definitely gonna go with some-type of boots instead of runners as I
am someone clumsy and prone to rolling my ankles.  The one pair of "nice" boots
that I own (Goretex Asolo something-or-others) never fail to leave me with
horrible blisters.  I've had them for about 3 years and have tried really hard
to break them in, and really have wanted them to work for me...which has proven
to be to no avail, and I usually end up switching them up for my chaco sandals
once my feet get too bad.  I think part of the problem is my feet sweat too much
and the goretex doesn't allow them to breathe...maybe the toe area is too
small?  I have cheap leather boots that I wear alot also, but they have the
nylon type sides and aren't waterproof...so in wet climates it's a debate
between soggy or blistery feet =)...no good either way.

Anyways I'm on a tight budget so my dilemma is this:  Should I buy three or four
pairs of cheap like big 5 leather boots to tear up on the trail and have my
sister mail new ones as the old ones wear out, or would it be more cost
effective to spend the money on maybe two nicer pairs that will last longer?  I
know this depends on personal preference, but I think my major deciding factor
at this point will be how long I can actually expect them to hold up on the
trail.  Are vibram soles really that much more dependable than cheapos?  Any
advice or opinions are much appreciated.  Sorry if I stir up a huge debate =).
Thanks everyone!

Crystal