[pct-l] Debating about boots

Mary Kwart mkwart at gci.net
Fri Feb 25 12:26:47 CST 2011

Hi:

I hiked 1000 miles last summer on the PCT and used two pair of boots--Merrell Moab Mid XCR. They did last about 500 miles each--I carried a 25 pound pack and weigh about 135 pounds. I liked the goretex for minor stream crossings, where they could get wet momentarily and still keep my feet dry. I also didn't have to have gaiters because they were over the ankle. One important point I haven't seen anyone mention is the fact your feet will probably widen by the end of the trail. I bought men's shoes to start because they have more room in the toe box. I wore a woman's size 8 1/2 and now wear a mens size 9. At the end of the trail last year I ordered and wore a men's size 9 1/2. You will start out with smaller feet and may end up with larger by the end of the trail.

I also have seen other threads on this topic where people said their feet never got bigger. I think the younger you are the more this is true.

--Fireweed