[pct-l] take care of your angels! don't be an ass

patti kulesz peprmintpati88 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 25 13:17:21 CST 2011

Just a reminder that being an angel is awesomeness! But it's also expensive and
ALOT of hard work...thousands of dollars are spent on our dirty stinky asses
every year! Some of these angels don't really have the money but they love us
soooooo very much that they are willing to put themselves in financial distress
after hiker season is over. Last year majority of the angels were sick, but were
still there for us.

So you newbies know...I am very blunt and don't pussy foot around with my
words...so if you're offended by what I say ...too bad, I don't care! This is
important and not to be taken lightly! I spent alot of time last year with
several of our angels and this is just coming from my heart and observations
made by myself and the angels. They are not only my friends but I consider them
family and I don't like people messin with my fam! So, that being said.....

Some good tips to remember:

1. MONEY...ALWAYS have some cash on you. One never knows when an angel will
appear or be needed, even after hiker season is over. Angels come in ALL forms,
not just at their own homes.  (rides, TH munchies or assistance, etc) AND not
all towns have ATM's.

2. BUDGET...Plan your budget to give atleast 20 bucks to each angel per night
that you stay at their homes. If you think about it...hotel ($50-100 per night),
laundry ($2-5.00 per load), meals ($5-10.00 per meal), shower (if not in a hotel
$ $2-5.00 YES REALLY!), internet ($5.00 for half hour maybe), phone (15-20 cents
per minute, more if it's international), rides to and from TH (SERIOUSLY gas is
now FOUR dollars a gallon, will prolly be more by then)

If someone gives you a ride, offer what you can even if all you have is 2
bucks...it's two more dollars they can use to pick up another hiker! Same with
TH angels...it's a nice suprise show them how much you appreciate it!

3. BEER...If you have money to buy beer...you have money to contribute to the
trail angels! PERIOD! people talk on the trail and it goes both north and south.
Angels do not HAVE to allow us to stay at their homes. If you're taking
advantage....word WILL travel and you can NOT expect the angels to accept you. I
have heard stories from hikers about it happening....don't think you're special!

4. LEAVE NO TRACE! yep, it works at the angels homes just like on the trail.
Clean up after yourselves! It's rude and laziness and VERY disrespectful to make
a mess and not clean up. I know your momma wouldn't approve and would prolly
beat your ass for doing so!

5. HELP OUT...If an angel offers to feed you....offer to help out, cooking,
cleaning up after, setting the table, ect. They are not your slave and so not
there to wait on your lazy butt! If it wasn't for them you'd be eating ramen or
instant potatoes again!

6. SPACE ...The homes of the angels are THE HOMES of the angels. Don't be rude
and just do whatever you want; go into their fridge and commense to eatin!, turn
on the tv and decide you're watching what YOU want to watch, etc. ASK if it's ok
first and if they look like they need to be space...GIVE IT TO THEM! they are
there for us for 2-3 months in a row. Think about if it was YOUR home, how you'd
feel if you had 10-30 people in your space every fricking day.... give them
their privacy!

7. MORE HELPING OUT...If something is broken and you know how to fix it...offer
your services! Save them some money... their doing this for US! And once again,
they are family!

8. NOISE...keep the noise down after 10PM. Not only is it after hiker midnite
and some of your fellow hikers are getting up early to hike out....but it's also
the angels home and they DO have neighbors. They also might want to get some
sleep themselves. Don't expect breakfast to be ready for you when you wake up
after keeping everyone up all night...HELLO!

9. EXPECTATIONS!!!...DON'T expect ANYTHING, EVER on the trail! Especially when
at an angels home. They don't have to do ANYTHING for us. Theywant to do this
and should not be expected to do it.

thanx and have an awesome hike y'all

If anyone wants to add to this PLEASE do so! I'm sure I missed something!

patti