[pct-l] Debating about boots...How many?

J M evilempress2003 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 25 13:55:58 CST 2011

Crystal,

I just went through this in my planning process. I hike in Lowa Renegade boots
and they do have Gortex in the uppers. There is very little break in time. In
fact I can't remember if my old ones (that I'm starting the trail in) had any
break in time. My current Lowas are 12 years old and I'm sure don't have enough
left in them to finish the trail so my question was, would a 2nd pair do the
trick. I called Lowa and found them surprisingly responsive. We went through a
full discussion of the new boot designs before deciding that a 2nd pair would
probably work.

I purchased them last week and have been training in them. There has been no
real break in other than figuring out what socks I like best in them. This is
why I fell in love with the boots to begin with - no pain of break in. If your
boots are giving you grief get rid of them and find boots better suited to your
foot. The reason the leather boots used to be so painful to start is the period
of softening them up and molding them to your feet. The softening still takes
some time but now you can have the leather boots stretched for you. Everyone's
feet are a little different and it may take some time to find the right boot for
you. When you find it then you can figure out if you will need more than one
pair.

Good luck! I hope you find exactly what you need. Maybe I'll see you out there.
:)

Joyce

"Good work. Sleep well. I'll most likely kill you in the morning."
www.explorationmonkey.blogspot.com