[pct-l] Half-yard maps and waypoints

abiegen at cox.net abiegen at cox.net
Fri Feb 25 15:16:11 CST 2011

All,

Sorry to get this out to you so late but I have been working furiously on this project. I feel bad since some of you have already spent a lot of money on Half Miles maps.

Coming - very soon

Lucy's Half-Yard Maps and Waypoints

Yes, that is right. I have put together highly detailed maps and way points with a waypoint every half yard. Just think, that is a waypoint every foot and a half, or every 18 inches if you prefer to look at it that way.

Sure a waypoint every half mile is good, but a lot can happen in a half mile. There might be little twists and turns in the trail. There might be elevation changes. There might be scenery to distract you or people who try to talk to you. Just think how much better it would be to have a waypoint every half yard. You will be able to see exactly where to put your foot for every step!

Just picture yourself, hiking the PCT, GPS in hand, eyes fixed solely on the GPS Screen. No more wandering around trying to find your way. No more gazing at peaks trying to figure out which peak they are - you won't care!  No more time wasted seeing the sights or admiring the view. No more fear of snakes or bears - you'll be looking down so you won't see them. No more taking your attention away from the GPS screen!

Just imagine yourself hiking past other PCT thru-hikers, confident in your knowledge of your course. You won't even look up to see who they are. You know where you are going, they don't. That makes them losers who you probably wouldn't want to meet anyway. Friendships, trail magic, coolers full of beer off trail, and stuff like that will just slow you down. Keep your eyes on the GPS and your feet moving!

Just picture yourself driven, focused on what you do best - reading your GPS and moving your feet, knowing exactly where the next foot fall will be, oblivious to everything around you.

Check out my website when it becomes available:

www.headsDownGPSreadingTrailZombie.com  (still under construction)

Lucy Afarensis

Hiking the trail upright since before there were humans (3.2 million years)