[pct-l] Read this post - on stiches

Brandon McGinnity bmcginnity at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 17:53:30 CST 2011

i don't disagree with Ken on the stitches, though I admit I never thought it
through beyond the idea of closing a gaping wound. Never thought of the
details he mentioned. Good info over all

That said... regarding sterility, well, no wound can ever really be sterile.
Washing generously is about reducing contaminants, not eliminating them,
right? That's why we have immune systems, or else every cut would get
infected and kill us.

I agree, of course, that stitching oneself with a sewing needle and floss
will be much more likely to result in infection, but I guess I'm not as big
a germaphobe as a surgeon is (but thank god they are, as it's a huge advance
in saving lives!)

For myself, I doubt I'd ever sew myself up, but won't worry too much about a
cut, beyond keeping it clean and with new bandages. I trust my white blood
cells on my body's natural capacity for healing to do the rest.

I guess the only point of this message is to give a little shout out to the
immune system....

--
~ Moccasin