[pct-l] Fw: Why are male hikers happier campers than female hikers?

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Mon Feb 28 08:18:48 CST 2011

Good morning, Crystal,

You created a good list, to which I would like to nominate an addition:

On the average, female hikers have a significantly higher ratio of hip
diameter vs. waist diameter compared to the guys.  When this bottom-to-middle
ratio is used to describe tree trunks it's called “butt swell” but I refuse
to use the term in this context.

A very practical advantage of the ratio difference can easily be seen when
selecting and fitting a pack.  The larger relative hip diameter means a
pack’s belt can accept a greater share of the load without being
uncomfortably tight.

That’s one of the reasons I don’t use a pack with a belt.  With my 1:1 ratio
I have to snug the belt as tight as possible to get it to support any load,
and after approximately 15 steps the belt slides down to erase even that
small advantage.   Besides, with a belt that tight I can’t even pee.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09