[pct-l] Ankles, shoes, and hiking poles

Susan Alcorn backpack45 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 28 12:27:14 CST 2011

We switched over to runners on the PCT (and many other trails) several years back primarily because so many of the forum recommended them and we've had no regrets. I've never twisted my ankle in any shoe, but I definitely think that hiking poles have been the key factor in avoiding many a face plant. Full disclosure: we're section hikers/didn't go through the Sierra in deep snow/did go through WA with snow.
Happy trails,
Susan Alcorn
Shepherd Canyon Books, Oakland, CA
www.backpack45.com and backpack45.blogspot.com
http://www.examiner.com/hiking-in-san-francisco/susan-alcorn
Publishers of two award-winning books: Camino Chronicle: Walking to Santiago and We're in the Mountains Not over the Hill: Tales and Tips from Seasoned Women Backpackers.