[pct-l] Lake Isabella/Isabella Supermarket

Jason Moores jmmoores1 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 21:44:46 CST 2011

If I remember correctly there is a Vonns in the main shopping complex and a
smaller local market about a half mile east. Zero problem with resupply
here, and if you need more than Isabella has to offer you can hop a bus and
be in Bakersfield in an hour or so.

I've hitched into Onyx/Isabella three times and can tell ya that it can be a
pain. In '06 it took over three hours to get a ride back to the trail, '09
over two hours, '10 almost two hours. Oddly, it's never taken more than
twenty minutes for me to get into town.

When we were in the store last summer the station was no longer selling gas
and the store had little more than chips and beer. It would have been
difficult, at best, to have resupplied here last year and it's less than
fifty miles to KM! I know many hikers that would be happy with beer and
chips for two days...but that's another topic.

If you chose to skip Isabella I'd recommend sending a small box to Onyx from
Mojave or Tehachapi.

Jackass