[pct-l] recommendations for very small accessible sections for visiting foreigners

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sat Jan 1 12:54:11 CST 2011

While I did recommend to someone else to hike the first 100+ mile
section of Washington, as it is in my opinion one of the best, I
think that if you have family/friends joining and they may not be in
the best of shape, something a little less strenuous might be better.
I would say have them see you off.

I joined TrailHacker for the first couple of days from the Mexican
border to Mt. Laguna. What I did was drive him to the trail and take
his picture, say good-bye. Then I parked the car in Campo, joined him
on the trail for a couple hours, then walked back to get the car.
Then I reparked it at Lake Morena and hiked SOBO to meet him on the
trail and hiked back to Lake Morena with him. I did the same thing
the next day and then the third day I hiked with him for a few hours
and said good-bye for good as he continued on without me and I went
home.

The first few days on the trail are really pretty and varied with
chaparral, oak woodland, meadows, desert vistas, pine trees and
wildflowers. The experience is really emotional so it is nice to have
people you love sharing it with you. The first few days on the trail,
in my opinion, are really easy, too. I know a lot of people struggle,
but compared to the rest of the trail, it's gentle and kind and there
is just so much to see it's breathtaking.

Diane