[pct-l] bear bagging

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Sat Jan 1 20:24:20 CST 2011

Good evening, Mike,

It is very rare to see any PCT hiker bag/hang food – anywhere.  Doing so is
not allowed as a substitute for using an approved bear ‘can in designated
areas.  The last time I bagged/hung food was on an Ontario canoe trip many
years ago.  Usually I ditch the ‘can at Echo Summit south of Lake Tahoe, but
once I did carry a non-approved Ursack for a while north of there because
there were some curious bears in that general area.  Even then I didn't
hoist it up; I just tethered it at ground level to a small tree.

On the remainder of the PCT north there are lots of bears but they keep
their heads down and a hiker will be lucky to see one.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09