[pct-l] bear bagging

Ryan Christensen yosemiteryan at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 2 03:10:08 CST 2011

Kevin,

I have a feeling I may not be the only one to reply to your post-- but I suppose
I will be the first. I was one of those "pesky" rangers asking about bear cans.
From what you wrote, I can tell that perhaps you have not had the experience
with bears that many Rangers, including myself have had. At heart, Rangers, and
all these food storage regulations are there to save bears. Bears are absolutely
beautiful creatures with personality and a zest for life. When I worked in the
parks, I was not just hiking through the mountains-- I lived there. I got to
know the bears- their personalities, the quirks, their cubs, parents and
grandparents-- and gained a very different perspective. If you watch them and
pay attention they very much remind us of ourselves. I have a brief clip of a
video I took of a bear doing bear things here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwOTMfnFuc4  Its a little over halfway through
the video.

 Ursacks were revoked because they have failed in real world situations in the
backcountry. I have had a visitor come out of the backcountry with a torn
Ursack-- then weeks later at the same location (on the PCT) get the report that
someone had to be helicoptered out because they were clawed by a bear-- then
hear the heart breaking story of the bear having to be hunted down and killed. I
have looked into the eyes of a mother bear in a trap, her cub crying next to
her, knowing she had to be killed because of the stupid decisions of visitors
before- who also came and went and did not care enough about the well being of
the bears to properly store their food. The point is: there is a direct
correlation between a bear getting human food for the first time- the bear
quickly becoming addicted to human food- the bear loosing their natural fear of
humans- then the bear becoming bolder and more aggressive in its efforts to
continue its addiction to human food-- this pattern continues until someone gets
hurt-- or have to be killed. Night after night, I have chased the same bear away
from food that people have left out-- to eventually learn that it too had to be
killed-- its three cubs shipped out to a Zoo. It is with a sense of compassion
and responsibility that we should be properly storing our food. In my opinion,
its not worth risking the life of a bear to save a few ounces, nor, IMHO is my
food important enough to me that it outweighs the life of a bear. Yes, we do
need containers with 100% impenetrability.

About defending your food from a bear: well, that's just simply a very, very bad
idea. That does seem to be a common denominator with many of the bear maulings I
am familiar with in the Sierra-- that and using your food as a pillow, which is
also a very, very bad idea. Know that not all bears are intemidated by rocks,
particularly the ones who have repeatedly gained food from careless
backpackers-- again, if you had more experience with bears I don't think you
would claim that they retreat when you throw stones, because many don't. Also,
be mindful of throwing those stones- years ago, in Yosemite, a boy scout killed
a bear when he threw a rock at the bear to protect his food. If your food was
properly stored to begin with then there would be no need to "protect" your
food.

For the Bears,

ProDeal

www.bristleconemedia.com