[pct-l] bear bagging

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Sun Jan 2 10:26:28 CST 2011

I hate bear cans.  I hate the extra weight, and the inconvenience, but I
love what they've done for my experience of the high country.  As it was
explained to me by a high country ranger near Vogelsang, historically
there's not been a lot for a bear to eat in the High Sierra, and their range
in summer was primarily at lower and mid range altitudes.  In early spring,
they'd go up  after winter kill animals, but the salmon runs, herd animals,
acorns, fruits and berries, are all at lower elevations in these mountains.
Before we brought up our wonderful, addictive (that's a good way to put it
Ryan) human food,  they simply didn't have a reason to hang around in the
really high parts of the Sierra, where you'll be living on the JMT/PCT.

In the 60's and 70's, before the introduction of bear cans, no matter what
bear bag hanging technique you used, there was always the chance of having
your trip ruined by marauding, backpacker food, habituated bears.  It was a
regular occurrence in Yosemite especially, Kearsarge pass was notorious, as
was Rae Lakes.  Stealth camping lowered the chances, but still didn't end
them.  The ranger at Vogelsang explained that because of the introduction,
and required use of bear cans, the total number of bears in the high country
is much lower again, closer to what it had been historically.  And this
change has occurred quickly.  Bears aren't stupid.  When we ceased bringing
up easy food, they went back down for the cars in Yosemite Valley, and the
parking lot at Onion Valley, much more appropriate targets.  Now if we could
only bring back the salmon runs....

The change has been noticeable to me just over the past 20 or 25 years, and
I like it.  So even though I hate the damn things, I'll use them gratefully.

Beautiful YTube video in Ryan's link of Mono Lake, its beauty and its
critters.  If you're new to the Sierra, it's the lake you'll be looking at
if you hitch down from Tuolumne Meadows to eat at "the Mobil" in Lee Vining.
 Check back several weeks on this forum for a long link on this place and
the great hamburger spot in town.  Both are worth the hitch.

Shroomer