[pct-l] Insoles

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sun Jan 2 11:03:21 CST 2011

My back hurt from using a computer mouse and sitting all day.

My frameless pack was somewhat too heavy and ill-fitting for me and
this made my back pretty miserable. First thing I did to help my back
was get a better-fitting, more supportive, internal frame pack. I did
that in Agua Dulce. It weighed more, but it carried my heavy gear
better. My back stopped hurting.

On my second hike I lightened my packweight considerably and used
another unsupportive, frameless pack. My unsupportive pack still hurt
my back. I ended up wedging a stick against my back, between the back
pad and the pack. The pain went away. I carried that stick from south
of Lone Pine all the way to Canada!

So rather than insoles, I would suggest making sure your pack fits
well and is supportive for your back.

Diane