[pct-l] Insoles

Melanie Clarke melaniekclarke at gmail.com
Sun Jan 2 21:48:31 CST 2011

I hit a wrong key and it sent without finishing...

Dear PCT,

I felt I better mention that while I exacerbated my back problems by tucking
my tushie too far in, the majority of people seem to stand with pot bellies
extending out and the tushie tilted forward or anteverted.  These people
actually need to straighten out the back by tucking in on their posterior to
make the pelvis tilt less.  This is so ubiquitous that most physical
therapists just tell their patients to tuck the pelvis.  I suffer from the
"athlete's mentality"  If SOME is good MORE must be better.  So because a
little bit of a tuck was good, I assumed a greater pelvic tuck would be
better and I thought it minimized the look of my hip size.  NO, you have to
maintain a "neutral spine".  Not too far forward or back.

I do all my yard work with a weight belt that the weight lifters wear.  This
tight belt around the waist forces you to elevate the abdominal region the
way you are supposed to hold your spine.  You also need to keep the
shoulders back and this is the perfect way for proper spinal alignment.  I
always wear a weight belt if I am doing heavy labor or hauling loads.  When
we are tired, it is just too easy to slide back into our old "slouching"
routines and then load the discs improperly.  I haven't noticed any
deterioration of my abdominal muscles.

I'll quit now.  Don't encourage me or get me started again.

Melanie