[pct-l] trail angels: where do we need one that we don't have one?

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Mon Jan 3 08:40:35 CST 2011

Good morning, John,

One location that comes to mind not so far from you in NW California is town
of Etna where the majority of thru-hikers resupply.  The people in this
small town are great to hikers, but the hitch from Etna Summit to town – and
eventually return – is iffy at best.  The approximate 10 miles of highway
from Etna town to Etna Summit is a paved snake-trail that does not see much
traffic at best.  Lots of the traffic that does pass is commercial and is
not allowed to pick up hikers.  Some lucky hikers get an instant ride, while
others have to stand around on that dry pass for – well, much too long.  I
know:  Been there … done that.

Last summer I hiked the two ’08 fire closures, and for one section I drove
to Etna before hiking to Seiad.  While I stayed in Etna for a day and a half
– with a car – I made about a dozen round trips up to the trailhead picking
up and returning hiker-trash.  The depth of their gratitude was truly
wonderful.

For that Angel support one wouldn’t have to have a hostel-type property,
only a vehicle – preferably a van – and some good books to read while
waiting at the summit for a hiker to trudge up.

Bless you for being willing to help.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09