[pct-l] UL Tents

dnlcyclone at aol.com dnlcyclone at aol.com
Tue Jan 4 08:42:58 CST 2011

Chris,

Hands down the best UL tents on the market are from Big Agnes, so you're on the right track. I would look to the Copper Spur or Fly Creek Series.  If you're going solo, I would look at the Fly Creek 2 if you're looking for more space with a small amount of weight increase.  The 2 man can tightly fit in an extra person who you might be meeting on the trail, but gives plenty of room for one person while only weighing in at a trail weight of 2 pounds, 2 ounces (as compared to the 1 pound, 14 ounces of the Fly Creek 1).  You will be happier in the long run with a tent IMHO, and with only a couple of pounds, it's well worth it.  Tarptent makes some great tents also, but they're often not freestanding, which is important if you're going to be setting up camp on a slab of rock.  I would be willing to wager that a lack of good shelter on the trail is one of the single biggest predictors in a fatigue-laden trip bail-out.  There are lots of factors, but shelter is key.  We all count ounces, but this is an area, again IMHO, where ultralight needs to meet ultralogical.

Cheers, and we look forward to seeing you on the trail,

David

to all,

Does anyone have perspectives on the lightweight tent as a shelter for the
PCT.  I'm pretty resolved that I will enjoy the evenings/sleeping much more
during my hike if I can be totally enclosed (more protection from the wind,
the elements, rodents, critters, and the always annoying mosquitoes).

However, I'm not completely decided on which tent to use.

I'm a big fan of the REI tent series and already own a REI Quarter Dome T2.

I'm thinking for going for a REI Quarter Dome T1 - 2 lbs 13 oz and wonder
what experience folks have had positively or negatively with other
solo-backing tents

I've looked at the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1 which looks nice as far as weight
(30 oz), but the reviews are kinda harsh (not alot of room for yourself in
the tent or your stuff under the rain fly)

Good opinions on the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL 1, but its a little on the
pricey side.

Looking for opinions and perspectives if people have them.

Thanks!

--
Chris

ackcountry.net/pipermail/pct-l/