[pct-l] My plans in a nutshell

Mike Beaty mike_beaty at q.com
Wed Jan 5 09:47:11 CST 2011

Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2011 18:20:13 -0800
From: Mike Chapman <altathunder76 at gmail.com>

Thanks,ive been visiting cali since birth and "will do" on the no
trace camp,and have done so for many years. Just cause im a
savage,dosent mean im a dirtbag,not that you said that,but it seems
ill be defending my rights alot more in the next year.

Mike Chapman,

As PCT Lister's well know, it is folly to argue with someone defending their
'rights' (presumably in this case derived from some hunter/gatherer natural
law bill of rights), but I ask you to consider another natural law:  kharma.

I was raised in snake country (San Gabriel Mountain foothills) and abide by
a law of mutual respect for the rattler:  we do not mess with them and they
in turn do not mess with us.  They also perform an  invaluable service by
consuming a lot of rodents.

Call me superstitious, but this hunt and consume notion (in jest?) strikes
me as bad juju for all concerned, in the same way that shunning bear
cannister and related protocols endangers bears and hikers.

Ultimately, however, it's not really about us, it's about the rattlesnakes,
bears, and others whose homes we visit.

Thank you,
Terrapin
Boise