[pct-l] 2012 prep strategy

Tow, Doug DTow at americanriverbank.com
Fri Jan 7 11:54:45 CST 2011

I would appreciate your insights (be gentle):

My brother and I are preparing to NOBO traverse the Oregon section of
the PCT in 2012, after 2011 Mt. Tam conditioning, trail visits, and a
2011 check ride from Seiad Valley to Ashland.
The big hike is open ended, but Ashland to Cascade Locks planned at 34
days with two zeros (Crater Lake and Sisters).
Here's our contrasts and similarities:

Me:  6'5", 56 years old, going for 200 lbs body weight at departure.
My brother:  6'1", 58, weight about the same.
Me:  Weak ankles, wearing Salomon Quests at 2 lb. 20 oz. in size 14.
Love 'em.
My brother:  Ankles of steel, wearing trail runners as he has on treks
for years.

We'll be heavy truckers by most definitions.

Tent:  Why not?  But, two man's are a joke for our sizes, so Big Agnes
Copper Spur UL3 to share, 4 lb 12 oz to share doesn't seem much for the
benefits.

Cooking:  JetBoil.  I'm schlepping the tent, so let my brother carry the
JetBoil and electronics.

Bag:  North Face Casaval +20 XL, Extra Wide.  I have spent my last
sleepless night
mummified and cold.
Pack:  Osprey Kestrel 68.
Bear canister:  BV 500.  Not a bad option to ensure dry, unvarminted
food, makes a great chair to boot.

In the end, not counting food and water, I'm maybe carrying 7-8 pounds
more than most folks.  I have a tiny
cat that weighs more than that.
I've been 278 pounds, so counting grams doesn't seem to be the paramount
thing.
You'll pass me for sure, and to your everlasting good health for it!

DougT
“This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager. This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.”