[pct-l] The Desert

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Fri Jan 7 17:26:11 CST 2011

Jackass,
Good info you have shared!

I have lived in So Cal all my life so most of my hiking experience
has been in the so-called "desert". I happen to not believe most of
what people hike through on the PCT in So Cal is desert, but then
hardly anybody will agree with me so I don't bother trying to
convince anybody anymore.

Anyway, one thing I notice is that a lot of people get hyponatremia,
which is when they drink too much water and get their electrolytes
all out of whack. Then they start powering down cliff bars because
they feel a lack of energy. Then drink more water because they are so
thirsty and it's hot. They spiral out of control and get real sick
and have to leave the trail.

My advice is to carry salty food. Don't eat cliff bars when you feel
a lack of energy. Eat some Fritos or salty nuts or something. The
nice thing about salty food is you have a built-in ability to self-
regulate your salt content eating salty food (as opposed to taking
supplements.) If you've had enough, you won't eat any more.

So bring the high-tech supplements and drinks if you want, but also
tuck in some ordinary salty snacks. They will help a lot.

And on the topic of blisters. Don't feel too bad if you get blisters.
I trained. I am used to the environment. I don't get a lot of
blisters normally. I hit the trail in good shape. I got terrible
blisters. Took me 700 miles before they finally went away. I don't
know what is different about the PCT vs say the Sespe or San Rafael
Wilderness, but something must be. I'm pretty sure part of what is
different is the level grade and smooth tread of the PCT. It's a
repetitive motion injury machine.

I've written about this before. What happens is you get a little
blister or hot spot or something and so unconsciously you favor the
hurt side. The trail will make you walk for 10 miles in a row on one
side of a mountain with the trail leaning outward to one side. For 10
miles. Then switch to the other side for 10 more miles. If ever there
was a tool to give someone massive blisters on their little toes,
this is it.

Now you've got these massive blisters, you are favoring one side of
your body a little bit, and the level trail goes on and on
relentlessly, pounding it into you until the next thing you know,
your knees are killing you. Or maybe your hip or your back. It has
nothing to do with your knees, your hip or back, it has to do with
the slight limp you developed from something in your feet. Pretty
soon you are nursing some serious shin splints or some other painful
problem and are thinking about getting off the trail.

Take care of those foot problems as soon as you can. If you get other
problems further up your body, take some time to care for your feet.
Slow down if you have to. Change your shoes around. Carry spare shoes
if you have to so you can have a change during the day. I hiked
wearing Crocs and Flip-flops sometimes. The trail is actually not so
rugged this can't be done.

Good luck everybody. You will find many things to like about the
"desert" if you keep an open mind. No mosquitoes is one of them!

Diane