[pct-l] Seiad Valley to Ashland

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Fri Jan 7 17:40:09 CST 2011

Good afternoon, Doug,

The first 5 miles north of the highway at Seiad averages the 15% maximum,
but because there are odd downhill stretches within it, the actual trail can
be 20% more times than you really want.   Much of the lower half of that
grade has tree cover and a southwestern aspect to provide morning
shade.  Higher
up, you lose the shade about the time the morning becomes hot.  The cooling
effect of altitude may help a trifle, and there will also be more breeze.
On this long grade just gear-down, rest often, and contemplate the
increasingly-obvious advantages of ultra-lite hiking.

Some hikers start early and get the climb behind them in the cool morning.  In
fact there is a good staging campsite about ¾ mile above the road to help
with that early start.  With other hikers around, it could get crowded,
though.  When I arrived late afternoon I was alone.  Before dark I had been
joined by 8 other hikers.  That site is only a few hundred yards south
–downhill -- of a good spring.

A caution:  From the road, and up the first 2-3 miles of trail, it is prime
poison oak habitat.  It grows along the trail, and sometimes hang over the
trail  depending upon when the trail maintainers have shown it some
attention.   Hiking up that section very early, i.e. with a flashlight, one
could easily brush against the stuff.  The lower staging campsite I
mentioned is heavily infested with the stuff.

Other hikers go up in the cooler late afternoon and early evening, but
expect to go about 5 miles above that staging campsite before attaining the
ridge where there are more campsites.  Camping among the switchbacks lower
down is inconvenient, particularly for tent users.

Once up on the ridge around the Devil’s Peaks the walking becomes easier
with more camping possibilities.  Water in that section is readily available
as appropriate intervals, and the sources are dependable.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye
http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09