[pct-l] Avoiding humans, snakes, dogs, push ups and trekking poles on the PCT

Tom Hudson vertigelt at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 19:53:28 CST 2011

Woah.

I don't know what I did to deserve being threatened with knives and guns,
mate.

I thought the OP was being funny by combining the heated snake-hunting and
the dog-bashing discussions into a single, clever post.  And I honestly
didn't know that snakes had kidneys.  Perhaps you meant to respond to
someone else, but you called me by name, and I'm not cool with your
threats.  I don't care if you're being sarcastic, it's not appropriate.

It sucks you've had such a bad experience with dogs. I don't blame you for
not wanting to share the trail with them.  But perhaps if you didn't start,
end, and continue conversations with both arms swinging, you'd find that
others (possibly dogs included) might treat you with a greater degree of
deference.  I'm a big fan of exercising one's personal rights.  But I've
generally found that those who froth their mouths over it seem to thrive on
conflict with others, as if there were no other way to exercise personal
liberties.  I don't buy it, and I don't like it. It's ok to carry the big
stick, but remember the first part of the corollary is to speak softly.
Gently, sir.

/Tom