[pct-l] thru dogs dates?

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Fri Jan 7 20:21:04 CST 2011

Good evening, all,

I’ve hiked many thousands of PCT miles and have only had a couple of
cautionary encounters with dogs, and those were not what you may
think.  Example:
once at low altitude near a trailhead I saw two medium-size dogs bounding up
the trail ahead of a young day-hiking couple.  I immediately got off the
trail and extended my poles to deflect the pooches.  The couple repeatedly
assured me that the dogs were friendly – which was readily apparent – but I
had a different motive:  Dogs are just the right height to collect poison
oak toxin on their fir as they zig-zag along the trail sticking their nose
into anything/everything, whether on or off a leash.

I had seen them running through the abundant trailside poison oak
infestations, and when I tried to explain my concern to the young couple I
got the, “What poison oak?” treatment.  They were totally clueless.

I hike with bare legs, and I don’t any urushiol-coated puppies rubbing
against me.  Similarly, I resist any inclination to pat a head, scratch an
ear, or stroke a back

Pack and saddle animals can be just as bad.  The worse case of poison oak
rash I ever had came from one of my horses who walked through poison oak
with impunity.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09