[pct-l] My Sensible Dog Strategy

Dale Combs comebackwalking at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 8 14:31:11 CST 2011

Instead of removing myself a couple feet from the trail for other hikers with dogs I put an exaggerated 15 foot buffer between myself and the trail, maintaining eye contact with the dog. Dogs are extremely sensitive to this social message. They look at me like I'm a nut job and get cautious. If they get closer than 15 feet I say firmly "Stay away. Don't lick me." (If you don't say that the owners say, 'don't worry she'll only lick you to death, I DON'T WANT TO BE LICKED).
Then I compliment the owner on having such a beautiful animal.

It's works like a charm and I follow this exact routine. Dogs understand and the owner smiles.
It probably works for complicated dog/people sociological reasons.

Comfy