[pct-l] Reunion - Half Dome 1st ascent

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 9 12:13:40 CST 2011

Hi All,

Yesterday afternoon and evening my wife and I hosted a Reunion Meeting of
the Bruin Mountaineers (UCLA). There were 20 of us "old timers" in attendance.
All had been active in backpacking and climbing with the club during the late
1950's and early 1960's.

One honored, and interesting guest was Mike Sherrick. He was one of a three-man
team who succeeded in making the first ascent of the 1800' northwest face of
Half Dome in Yosemite. This was in June of 1957. It took them five days on the
vertical granite face to reach the summit. This is a Grade 6 climb.

We enjoyed many slides, brought by others, of backpacking trips and of several
other ascents of peaks in Mexico, California, Oregon and Washington.

MendoRider