[pct-l] how many days food do you carry?

Robert Bellingham bbandbbpct at gmail.com
Sun Jan 9 19:56:45 CST 2011

As first time PCT hikers last year we had the same concerns. The longest stretch for us, without resupply, was 14 days from Lone Pine CA to Vermillion Valley Resort where we ate in the restaurant and bought some stuff from the store to get us to Reds Meadows and then in to Mammoth.

We did find stuff in hiker boxes on the way but we never relied on it, our strategy was to carry an extra day's food for any stretch less than 7 days and 2 days extra food for any stretch longer than that. This worked well for us and we were never concerned about being on the trail without "something" to eat. All our food was bought on route (i.e. no pre-prepared parcels from home/friends etc) and we were surprised at how many places there were to buy food; maybe not the best selection or the most nutritious but always something.
Bob
Slow & Steady 2010