[pct-l] social interaction / dealing with disagreeable people

greg mushial gmushial at gmdr.com
Mon Jan 10 12:23:44 CST 2011

> Message: 36
> Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 15:07:30 +0000
> From: <gwschenk at socal.rr.com>
> Subject: Re: [pct-l] social interaction / dealing with disagreeable
> people...
> To: pct-l at backcountry.net, Paul Robison <paulrobisonhome at yahoo.com>
>
> ---- Paul Robison <paulrobisonhome at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> ... did anyone on here who has thru-hiked had a hard time finding a
>> clique they fit in with?  do you think the experince forms bonds where
>> before
>> there likely would be none?
>
> To me the hike is not about bonding with cliques. That's what high school
> is for. There is a segment for whom the trail is all about partying with
> their peeps, but that is a minority from my experience. YMMV.
>
> Gary

Have to agree...  but I think there's another aspect: at home, at the work,
people tend to be under pressure, hassled - said differently, not in a
feel-good space; conversely on the trail, in a much more pleasant place, and
after all the miles and after the endorphenes have kicked in, people tend to
be more mellow. As far as groups forming - they tend to naturally, ie, those
that want to be together are, and those that want room to be left alone find
it. 2600 miles is a lot of room to find a little bit of peace and quiet for
those that want it.
TheDuck