[pct-l] Water crossings in Oregon

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Mon Jan 10 15:49:57 CST 2011

Good afternoon, Doug,

At stream crossings in Oregon during the typical PCT hiking season there is
a very strong risk that you may get the soles of your sneakers damp.  Much
depends upon when in the summer you attempt to cross, the year’s snowpack
depth, and the time of day of crossing.

Wading fords could be necessary early to mid season at Russell Creek and
Whitewater Creek which drain glaciers on the west side of Mt. Jefferson, and
Sandy River which drains glaciers on the NW side of Mt. Hood.

Most thru-hikers don’t even notice a problem at Jefferson or at Hood, having
successfully transited the Sierras, but there was an early-season fatality a
few years ago when a hiker attempted to cross the Sandy when it was in
flood.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09