[pct-l] PCT Forums

John Abela pacificcresttrail2011 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 20:11:58 CST 2011

Mike,

As one of the originally developers of phpBB, and thus as somebody who has
dealt with forums of mass proportion (million+ members), can I make a
suggestion...

Start small and add forums as you need them.

Very few people are going to join a website that has 50+ forums with "0
posts" listed in 99% of the forums.

Start with 5 categories *max* and build up from there - over the course of a
year or two.

Substantial growth of forums comes with being able to pull in members who
can focus on a very small hand full of topics very well.

Most "forum people" are not going to bounce through 20+ different forum
categories.

Your goal has to be to bring people in from the likes of pct-l and even
harder: whiteblaze and backpackinglight.

Your ambitions might be good, but going on 11 years of working with some of
the largest forums in the world have taught me a few lessons, and the
biggest lesson I could teach is "stay narrowly focused" until you get your
feet under you (ie: 5,000+ *active* members)

Best of luck,
John