[pct-l] Tentative 2011 Snoqualmie Pass WA volunteer maintenance goals

tokencivilian at yahoo.com tokencivilian at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 10 22:01:43 CST 2011

After a meeting last week with the north cascades regional representative of the PCTA, the tentative list of volunteer maintenance projects in the snoqualmie pass area of Washington has been settled upon.

Initial efforts will go into clearing the winter blow down as soon as the snow melts.  Saws of several descriptions, axes and other cool tools will git er done.

After that, the focus tread restoration project will be to repair a failing section of turnpike south of mirror lake.  The project is right about the boundary of maps I 14 and I 15.

Additional tread work would be to continue the check steps to stabilize and restore the badly erroded tread just north of Ollalie Meadow map I 15.

With 3 brush saws available, we will also continue the south stampede pass brushing project.  Last year we started at the tight series of switchbacks on the south part of map I 13 and worked south just onto map I 12, clearing 8,000+ feet of trail in conjunction with the Forest Service and WTA.  The plan is to continue working south toward Tacoma Pass.  We might also jump south and tackle the brush in section 35 on map I 12.

Tentative plans are for several scheduled car camp weekends (come for one or both days) as well as a bunch  single day efforts (depends on good weather and volunteer availability - these tend to be scheduled about a week ahead via e mail).  The single day efforts usually are about 9 to 3.  Emphasis is on safety first, having an enjoyable experience 2nd and then doing some quality work.  No experience is necessary.  Tools and hard hats are provided.

If you would like to be put on the e mail list of potential volunteers, contact the PCTA's North Cascade Regional Representative (info can be found on the PCTA web site) or get hold of me off list.

Watch the PCTA web site.  At some point in the spring, notices for the scheduled weekends will get put in the volunteer projects database.  E mails are sent to solicit folks for the day projects.