[pct-l] (no subject)

Paul Robison paulrobisonhome at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 11 18:16:40 CST 2011

the question is dynamic,

what's your base weight, and how many CU in do you use before food and water?
what will be a big determiner in your overall pack and what you need to carry.

the most food you 'MUST' carry is like 6 days if you push it...  but prepping
for a few ten day stretches allows you to enjoy the trail more.  zeros on the
trail are magical; and much cheaper than zeros in town.

as for containers for the water, the best lightest option are the lightweight
gatorade liter bottles.   almost indestructible and replaceable at a whim.  and
if your stretch doesn't required quite as much you can ditch a few bottles, and
pick up a few more at the next town.  actually lighter but less versatile are 2
Liter soda bottles.  and one on either side of a ULA circuit is a nice setup
that i use often for shorter hikes.  i like the ocean spray cranberry juice
bottle because of their wide mouth's

bear canister the whole time?  an extra 2lb 4 oz for nothing?  my humble opinion
is carry the bear canister only as required.  and practice safe techniques in
other places.  2lb 4 oz is A HUGE amount of weight; and would be much better
spent elsewhere.

the biggest thing is,  how much total weight are you carrying?  with a good
base-weight (10 or 12 lbs) the idea of carrying a bear canister for nothing
begins to seem more and more unreasonable.  obviously if you already have 30 lbs
in your pack is can go almost unnoticed.

my humble opine,
~Paul