[pct-l] Lets Talk High-End Watches

Timothy Nye timpnye at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 18:29:08 CST 2011

Hi John,

I got a Suunto 9 years ago, I don't know what model it is or even if they
had different models back then.  It does, however, display the temp and time
concurrently if you set it for the barometric function.  Temperature on top
and time on the bottom.  Of course, you have to press and hold the button on
two o'clock position in order to initiate the watch's illumination
feature so that you can see this.  When hiking I'm concerned about an
accurate temp (and this affects the accuracy of the altimeter and barometer)
I loop the watch band on some external piece of clothing, loop, etc.

Perhaps a less expensive option is to see if you can find one of these old
one's for sale used.  It does have the advantage of a compass feature which
I've actually relied on in clouds/fog.  There's no point in a lensmatic
compass as no one's shooting back azimuths on the PCT.  I don't carry a
GPS.  I find that I do rely on the altimeter function to measure my
elevation gain of loss and this helpful.

Just a thought.