[pct-l] Trying to enter Canada

Timothy Nye timpnye at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 20:20:18 CST 2011

The entry form has gone through several iterations.  The PCTA site leads to
the form, and the most current version for the first time asks for color,
enlarged reproductions of your drivers license / passport / picture ID.  It
also states: " *NOTE: POE Officer, please return this form to CSBA - Pacific
Crest Trail Processing Centre -(address provided)" * (Emphasis in original).

It seems likely that there is attempt, at the least, to strengthen
requirements and enforcement measures on the Canadian side of the border.
If the Canadian version of the border patrol is receiving instruction on
this, or even if they only learn of it by through experience, by noting this
language and beginning to follow it's enforcement directions, then prudence
dictates caution.

[The form also notes that firearms and weapons are prohibited.  Who knows
what they consider a weapon.  Several years ago, after new security measures
had been instituted,  I entered the state building in Oakland, California
carrying my Gerber pocket knife with a two inch blade.  When you go through
the metal detector your metal objects go in the basket, like the airport.
The knife passed review after one of the six( 6) uniformed employees saw it
and called over a supervisor for a consultation.  The next week, I was told
the knife wasn't legal and I swear I was about to be strip searched.  They
held the knife until I finished my business and left the building.  Who
knows what they would have thought of trekking poles!]

At any rate, it seems to me that such a change in enforcement indicators
calls into question past conclusions.