[pct-l] So. Calif. Desert Water Caches

leestcoast at gmail.com leestcoast at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 22:27:02 CST 2011

Hi Melanie, besides Diane's sage advice, you might want to factor in the following on thinking about what your water carryload is going to be: if you encounter heat (for me high 80's +) are you hiking during the heat of the day or laying up until it gets cooler and hiking on after dinner for a couple of hours? Are you willing/planning on hiking anywhere from 1/4 to 1 mile off trail to a spring etc for a water fillup? Are you going to drycamp in a certain stretch (in which case you'll need more water, particularly if you are cooking)? And remember, somewhat like food, the faster you are moving on the trail, the less water you will need to carry between water sources. My limited relevant experience was section hiking B in '07 in mid-May. Noon hour temps were 86 to 97F.  The max I carried was 4 liters, even when dry camping (I was stoveless - very dry that year). And, as I think Diane has indicated, the Trail will clarify how you need to proceed, what you need to carry.  Enjoy your time on the Trail - it will be your teacher and partner.
Cruz Control
Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone, powered by CREDO Mobile.