[pct-l] Long stretches between water sources

Kevin Cook hikelite at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 23:24:45 CST 2011

All other things being equal, I'd choose to camp near water. That being
said, I wouldn't use the water location to make that decision. If the best
place to camp that day put me in between sources, I would do that. I'd tank
up, bath, relax, etc before leaving the water, and then make sure I carry
enough to get me to the next one. I think the question is bogus :P
If the water was only another couple miles, I would push on. If it was a
mile short of where I wanted to camp, I might consider stopping. That's
unlikely though because I would already have realized where the water was
that morning before I began hiking.

Short answer... If it works with my hiking pace and schedule, plan to camp
where the water is. It gives you hours to rehydrate and tank up instead of a
couple hours during a midday break.