[pct-l] So. Calif. Desert Water Caches

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Wed Jan 12 08:37:29 CST 2011

If you cache your own, someone else will drink it. The trail is
littered with water caches, often more than what is commonly noted in
the water report, and people just figure it's for them and they drink
it. Also, if you are caching water for yourself, you should return to
clean up the empties.

You all are worrying way too much about water in my opinion. The
trail can be done without caches. It used to be done without caches.
You just have to hike off trail to the springs. Knowing where off-
trail water is located is the reason for the water report. It's not
just about whether the caches are full. Knowing where off-trail water
is located was also a reason why the wordy guide books were so good.