[pct-l] social interaction / dealing with disagreeable people...

Tom Hudson vertigelt at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 14:30:49 CST 2011

Yes, that's the other thing I failed to mention.  Typed communication is
robbed of all the subtleties of oral communication, both in inflection and
in body language.  We try to overcome with emoticons, stylistic liberties,
and other affectations; but often a great deal of actual intent is lost in
expression when the communication vehicle is solely words.

So, in addition to the online proclivity towards confrontation, remarks
which are not at all meant to be confrontational are interpreted as such.
Furthermore, the net effect of this artifice is that subtle cues to indicate
intent are either magnified grossly out of proportion (a wry remark is
rendered as bitter sarcasm) or otherwise lost altogether (a wry remark is
rendered as dead seriousness).  In either event, something meant to be
friendly can be interpreted as either hostile or unreasonable.

Oh, why can't y'all just read my mind???

/Tom