[pct-l] So. Calif. Desert Water Caches

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Wed Jan 12 18:19:24 CST 2011

On Jan 12, 2011, at 3:47 PM, Paul Robison wrote:

> better safe than sorry

I guess I just disagree or have a different idea about what is safer.
I think it is safer to know where the water supplies are and have it
already planned in your mind that you are going to get your water
there. So what if there's no water at 3rd Gate Cache? I planned for
there being no water between Rodriguez Spring and Barrel Spring
anyway, and if there's an emergency, there's a water source a mile
away from 3rd Gate. So what if there's no water at Scissors Crossing?
There's always hitching a ride to Julian where I can get water and my
fill of Apple Pie if my 5.5 liters of water somehow didn't make it
the 4 hours of downhill, cool morning hiking from Rodriquez Spring.

I did not find the 32 mile stretch across the San Felipes to be an
undue hardship as far as water was concerned. I worried about it,
sure. It was one of the true desert stretches along the trail and it
was pretty hot. I also injured myself and was uncertain if I could
even make it to Barrel Spring. But made it I did with an overnight
dry camp where I made some soup and with water to spare when I
reached Barrel Spring.

The 35 mile stretch north of Tehachapi wasn't even that bad. I've
done it twice. The first time I had 5.5 liters carried from Water
camp. I topped off at the Kelso Valley cache. I staggered through the
blazing heat of the desert to the Bird Spring cache and camped there.
I still had plenty of water. I should not have taken any from the
Kelso Valley cache. I managed to make it all the way to Walker Pass
the next day without filling up at Bird Spring or McGuyver Spring.

The 2nd time I did that stretch I had 3.5 liter capacity. I made the
side trip to the spring just before you drop down to Kelso Valley.
The sign said good water and they were right. Delicious! The Kelso
Cache was empty but it didn't matter to me because my water was full.
I camped half way through the 35 mile dry stretch. There's a muddy
cattle pond 2 miles down a road near where I camped. Some people
actually filled up there. I didn't need to. The next day I hiked on
to McGuyver Spring. I was surprised I had skipped such a great place
the year before. I filled up on water and cooked an extra meal. There
was like a hiker party almost going on. It was loads of fun.
Continued on to Walker Pass and walked into a barbecue. Chicken and
steak! Wow!

See, it's really not that bad. In the 32 mile stretch, Rodriguez
Spring is there and there's a slight chance of creek water near
Scissors Crossing and an emergency water access a mile from 3rd Gate.
In the 35 mile stretch there's great water a half mile or so off the
trail, the muddy cattle pond and McGuyver Spring. Those water sources
aren't included in the 32 and 35 mile distances. There's more water
than you think. Sure, it's not like the Sierras or the Cascades where
you can just drink when you are thirsty. Just be prepared and trust
that you will improve in your hiking abilities and your water
management. You will learn a lot and you'll get to use those skills
when you get to Nor Cal and Oregon and possibly even in the last few
days of the trail if it's still summer when you get there.

Sorry this is so long.